Category Archives: projects

Refrigerator Shelf Liners

ShelfLiner

Refrigerator Shelf Liners have been all the rage lately on the blogs & on Pinterest. I’d been wanting to do this for a while, but don’t make it to Target very often to get what I wanted for this project. Finally one day while at Target, I remembered this project.

DSCN6460

I always hate cleaning out the fridge. It’s so tricky to get those glass shelves in and out of there. And I’m always afraid I’m going to break one of them.

After cleaning out the fridge, I measured the glass part of the shelves and cut squares of rubber shelf liner {I found this in the section with the mops and brooms at Target}.

DSCN6462

I was able to line three shelves with the liner and used the scraps to line the inside of the two of the doors. I would recommend getting two rolls of the liner to make sure you have enough to complete the project.

DSCN6463

I love the final product! It’s been a few weeks since I’ve completed this and it’s still clean and much easier to clean up messes!

Ever Wonder Why…

You never see me posting about fancy things that I’ve built on my own; with my very own power tools, like you see most of those popular DIY blogs post about? You know, those blogs who post about how easy it was to build a piece of furniture with 1×2’s in just a few hours and didn’t need anyone’s help making it?

shelf1

Yeah… That’s because I can’t even put together a shelf out of a box from WalMart! My friend was laughing hysterically at my finished product!

I blame the fact that it was probably made in China and the holes for the shelves don’t line up!

This is exactly why I leave the power tools and anything that needs built, up to the hubby!

I just thought that ya’ll needed a great laugh to start of the week!

Signature

Reclaimed Wood Shelf

DSCN5726

For a while now, I’ve been wanting a shelf to go along this wall in our living room. At first I thought I wanted a ladder shelf. Then I saw an idea to use a pallet to make a shelf. Well, we didn’t have a pallet to use and I wanted the rustic look.

DSCN5720

But we did have all the old lumber that we saved after redoing our deck three years ago {yeah, I don’t like to get rid of things that I could use later on!}

DSCN5722

The hubby sanded down all of wood {it was originally stained and had all the character of once being used on a deck}. It needed a serious sanding in order to get the look I was going for.

DSCN5723

Then he cut the lumber that would be used to make the large box to fit the area where we wanted to put the shelf. Using a nail gun, he nailed it together. Then measured to make each shelf, nailing it into place. He also put dividers on two shelves to make them look like boxes. And that’s it! Eventually I will put a clear coat on the wood to seal it.

DSCN5724

I love my new reclaimed wood shelf! The best part is that it didn’t cost us anything because we used what we had. But you could make this using new lumber as well or by tearing up an old pallet.

DSCN5727

I couldn’t decide what I wanted to display on the shelves! I’m sure that I will be changing this out frequently and will definitely use it to decorate for different holidays! A big thank you to the hubby for building my vision for me {I’m still fearful of power tools or maybe it’s that he won’t let me touch them!}

Signature

 

I’m linking up to these parties:

showitoff_monday_button1

one project link partyPhotobucket HookinupwithHoHnew2

Tin Can Flowers

 DSCN0513

Our front flower beds needed some color but the beds are built up higher and I knew if I planted the flowers in the ground that they wouldn’t be seen from the street.

I came up with a plan! {scary, I know}

DSCN0494

While shopping Wally World one day I noticed they had their flowers marked 50% off. I went back and got a punch of flowers for $14. I finally got everything planted yesterday!

DSCN0495

With the help of my MIL and her friend, I collected some restaurant size tin cans.

DSCN0512 

I used the end that had been notched out as the bottom for drainage and cut off the other end.

I spray painted the cans with some spray paint I had on hand from the herb containers from a few years ago. Then I had the hubby drill some holes in the sides to attach wire to hang them from.

DSCN0514

I planted the flowers (about four per can) and hung them on Sheppard’s hooks in the flower beds in the front of the house. They looked really pretty until the hooks couldn’t hold the weight after the rain. Now I have them sitting on the front steps.

This would be great with stronger hooks. I just used what we had in our garage from our wedding three years ago.

DSCN0515  DSCN0519 DSCN0520 DSCN0521

 

 Signature

I’m linking up to these parties this week:

SimplyHomemakingButton214